Sunday, June 24, 2012

AViiQ Ready Clip Review

I’m in the process of reconfiguring my EDC (Everyday Carry) and have been looking at ways to condense and simplify the various cables that I currently have stuffed in my gear bag. When AViiQ recently offered to send me their Ready Clips, my ears perked up because they looked like a perfect replacement for my current collection. I’ve been using them for a few days now and am ready to let you know if they will end up in my bag or in a drawer.

Note: Click the images in this review to see a larger view.

Here are a few of the cables that I keep in a zippered Waterfield pouch inside my Timbuk2 messenger bag. Even using twisty ties to keep the cables from unraveling, there really isn’t an elegant way to carry cables like these. They almost always just end up in a tangle in the bottom of my bag.

On the other hand, AViiQ’s Ready Clips look pretty nice in comparison. AViiQ offers a 30pin Apple cable, a Mini USB and a Micro USB cable. They are about 5.5 inches end to end and have a flexible but sturdy rubber covering.

They also feature a built in clip.

The clip makes it easy to organize the cables by sliding them into a pen or pencil pocket in your gear bag.

You’ll also notice that the cables are color coded, making it easy to choose the right one for the task at hand instead of having to look carefully at the Mini and Micro USB ends to make sure you’re grabbing the right one.

I first tried the cables with my Macbook Air and found them to work well with small items like this Apple iPod nano. I also tested the 30 pin cable with my new iPad and it charged / synced fine.

Then I tried the Ready Clips with my Lenovo laptop at work and realized they don’t work quite as well when the USB connector is vertical instead of horizontal.

Since the Ready Clip isn’t as flexible as a thin cable, changing the orientation of your gadgets while they are syncing/charging, isn’t easy to do.

The Ready Clip cables perform just as good as normal USB cables and I like the fact that they don’t get tangled and knotted in my gear bag. But, I don’t really like the fact that they are much more rigid than a typical thin cable and don’t allow me to position the connect gadget the way I would prefer. So when all is said and done, the AViiQ Ready Clips will most likely end up in a drawer instead of my gear bag.

Do you use a better alternative? If so, please share it in the comments.

Product Information

Price:$19.99 - $29.99
Manufacturer:AViiQ
Pros:
  • Compact
  • Built in clip
  • Color coded
Cons:
  • Pricey
  • Can't buy a set of all three
  • Can't rotate ends

Filed in categories: Desktop Computer Gear, Laptops and Gear, Reviews

Tagged:

AViiQ Ready Clip Review originally appeared on The Gadgeteer on June 20, 2012 at 7:40 pm.

Source: http://the-gadgeteer.com/2012/06/20/aviiq-ready-clip-review/

PALM OSI SYSTEMS

No comments:

Post a Comment